top of page
  • Shaiber Raichur

A fire broke out in a 19-storey high-rise building at Sion Koliwada on Jan 30

A fire broke out in a 19-storey high-rise building, Om Shiv Shakti Housing Society located on MA road in the Sion Koliwada area of Mumbai on January 30 at around 12.30 in the afternoon. The fire erupted in a flat on the sixth floor of the building. As soon as the blaze was reported the residents of the building immediately informed the fire brigade. As the society was not functional no casualties were reported in this incident.

According to the sources, the fire was confined to a room in which there were electronic appliances. During the time of the incident, no one was present inside the room. The cotton mattress and pillows caught fire, which created smog inside the structure.

As per the fire officials, four fire engines and a water tanker were pressed into service whereas the fire was declared a level-one or minor blaze. The flames were brought under control in an hour. As the fire station was nearby. The firefighter team was able to control the situation immediately and a major crisis was averted. A short circuit is said to be the reason behind the blaze.

Note: The building was constructed under the Slum Rehabilitation Authority scheme six to seven years ago.

bottom of page