Fire broke out at Chowk Bazaar in the town of Jorhat, Assam on Feb 16
A tensed situation was formed during the night hours of February 16 when massive fire broke out at Chowk Bazaar in the heart of Jorhat, Assam. The tragic incident took place at around 9 pm inducing a chaotic situation in the area. According to the reports, the fire started at a cloth shop near the market's main gate and was suspected to have been caused due to a short circuit. The fire soon started spreading out, engulfing nearby shops. This situation raised a wave of panic among the locals present in the surrounding of the market as the area was covered with plume of black smoke. The fire department and the police department were soon informed regarding the menacing situation.
Initially, around 25 fire tenders along with police personnel and health workers soon rushed to the spot after receiving the information and immediately started evacuating the area. Later, when the situation was going out of control additional firefighters and vehicles were deployed to the spot from nearby towns of Titabor, Mariani, Golaghat, Sivasagar. The fire tenders faced a lot of difficulties to douse off the flames as the narrow lanes and congested area posed a major challenge for them. But, finally, after 10 hours they managed to control the blaze.
As per reports, around 300 shops were gutted in the devastating fire that engulfed the British-era market area. No casualties were reported in the incident. The shops that were damaged mostly sold grocery items, clothes, utensils, books and stationery items.
The analysts of Cybertech Risk Center generated real-time alerts on this incident and closely monitored the situation providing its clients with timely alerts about the same. We at Cybertech Risk center covers Explosion, High Rise Fire, Industrial Fire, Structure Fire, Vehicle Fire under the “Fire” category that could be the reason of disruption for the client’s business continuity process, working in collaboration with NC4 providing pan India coverage.