top of page
  • Dhanashri Warghade

Fire ignited at Ashok Mill compound in Dharavi; one died



A massive fire was ignited at some garment units which are located in the Dharavi slum colony in Mumbai on February 1. According to the officials, the fire was confined to the electric wiring, electric installation, machinery, and clothes in the garment units. This fire was reported at around 11.55 am.


As soon as the incident happened chaos occurred in the area. Locals immediately called to the fire brigade team and Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) office. Five fire tenders were deployed into service. Three jumbo tankers, and two fire bikes also rushed to the spot.


Fire broke out in a garment manufacturing gala (unit) of a ground-plus-two storied building in Ashok Mill compound on the 90 feet road in the city. According to Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation, fire quickly spread to two nearby areas. Entire area had got smoke logged after this incident.


The local police, BMC officers, rescue team along with ambulance rushed to the spot to control the situation. The firefighters brought the fire under control after a three-hours. This fire was declared a Level 1 fire.


In this mishap, senior citizen Usha Londhe (62 years old) died due to burn injuries. She was trapped inside the bathroom during this fire. The fire fighters rescued her from the bathroom and rushed to nearby Sion hospital, where she was declared brought dead. As per Doctors, she had sustained 60-70% burns.


The narrow lane was later sealed by the police and fire brigade officials for conducting investigations. Piles of burnt garments were also moved out of the gala to prevent further fire.

3 views
bottom of page