top of page
  • Haresh Parshuram Yetal

Level-I fire erupted in an underground gas pipeline near a petrol pump in Parel, Mumbai on August 29

A fire was erupted in an underground gas pipeline located near a petrol pump in Parel area of Mumbai on August 29. Fire brigade, BEST and MGL personnel were immediately rushed to the spot and managed to control the blaze before it could intensify further. No injury of casualty was reported in this mishap. The fire was ignited following an electrical short circuit in the underground pipeline.

The fire was reported at 1.10 pm on August 29 when people noticed smoke coming out of the ground at Baba Saheb Ambedkar Road opposite the F-South Ward office in Parel. Soon after receiving the information, Mumbai police, fire brigade, Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport (BEST) and Mahanagar Gas Limited personnel were rushed to the spot and started firefighting operation. The fire could be extinguished within 15 minutes of efforts. An ambulance was also sent to the spot however, no injuries of casualties were reported in this incident.

Initially, the fire was suspected to have caused due to a gas leak however, it was later learnt that it happened due to a short circuit in one of the underground utility cables. The fire was categorized as Level-I fire.

Reports further informed that the police had sealed the area near the incident location. Residents living in the nearby areas were advised to close the doors and windows of their houses. The gas supply to nearby buildings was also shut as a preventive measure to avoid further spread of the fire. The supply was restored by 6 pm after receiving permission from the fire brigade. Furthermore, the shops were directed to close and power supply was shut near the affected area. Several BEST bus services were diverted following this incident.

bottom of page