- Haresh Parshuram Yetal
Major fire erupted in a high rise at Mumbai’s Curry Road on October 22; one person died
A major fire had broken out at the 60-storey One Avighna Park building located at Madhav Palav Marg at Curry Road, Mumbai on October 22. Fire brigade was rushed to the spot to contain the flames. The fire could be doused off completely after around 4 hours of efforts. One person died in this mishap while 16 others were rescued. The primary cause of fire is suspected to be a short circuit. Meanwhile, the municipal commissioner of BMC has ordered an enquiry in this incident as well as an FIR is lodge at the Kalachowki police station in Mumbai.
The fire was initially ignited in the flat number 1902 on 19th floor in B-Wing of the One Avighna Park Apartment around 11.30 am. A total of 40 vehicles including 14 fire engines, nine jumbo tankers, one control room vehicle and skylift were deployed at the location. The blaze was categorized as level-III and was later upgraded to level-IV due to its intensity. The flames were further spread to flats and then the 16th, 17th, and 18th floor as well. The residents of the building immediately evacuated immediately after the fire broke out. Fire brigade managed to extinguish the fire completely by 3.30 pm. Meanwhile, fire brigade used a 90-meters snorkel for firefighting and rescue operation.
A 30-year old person died after falling from balcony of the flat where fire had broken out. The deceased was identified as Arun Tiwari who was working as a security guard in the building. He had gone on the 19th floor to help the residents but got trapped in a flat which was completely engulfed in the flames. In order to save himself, Tiwari held on to the railing of the flat's balcony. However, he could not hold longer and eventually fell down and suffered major injuries. He was immediately rushed to the KEM Hospital but was declared dead on arrival.
Furthermore, the fire brigade officials confirmed that the firefighting system of the building was not fully functional. This led to delay in preventing the spread of the blaze. Municipal Commissioner Iqbal Singh Chahal ordered a probe into the incident to identify the cause of the fire and look after other issues. Similarly, a case has been registered under the different sections of the Indian Penal Code including 336 (rash or negligent act that endangers human life or personal safety of others), 304 (A) (causing death by negligence), and under sections of the Maharashtra Fire Prevention and Life Safety Measures Act.